Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: How important are power cables and power filters?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Cal I will address you but not the troll.

    This thread was started by pretending to ask for advice. The original poster then went on to hammer his opinions, every one disagreeing with him is wrong. It never was a discussion.

    Just troll plain and simple.

    As far as speaker cables, I favor everyone using what they want. I don't believe all cables sound alike.

    Most cable claims can't be documented. That is no reason for somebody to not use what they want. When cables are sold for a thousand times what they cost to make....Monster comes to mind...it is just plain immoral.

    This is about power cables. And ridiculously expensive ones.

    The OP allows one opinion...his own is the only one that can be right. Then he claims to be modest? the lady doth protest too much.

    Power conditioners can improve crappy power. So can fixing the crappy power.

    Without even trying to fix his power the claim is made an overpriced filter is "the best buy".

    Al little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and he has little knowledge.

    Two questions for board members....

    1. Is this board about buying Boutique products or mostly about DIY?

    Which of these reviews is honest?

    "I bought an xxx power conditioner. For me the results were much improved sound and clarity. If you have power issues this might be worth a try."

    "I bought an XXX power conditioner. It is amazing! Conclusion: sound was never so open, like your room is much bigger now, very straight bass, and a very nice controled detail.
    Best buy for the money!"

    I am in favor of discussions about all boutique products being banned from here. There are plenty of boards discussing them. Why bring it here?



    Sorry my friend, but your are much to personal, and I don't think that is very respectable!

    Maybe you already posted more than 3000 posts here on this forum, I don't care if you are "old" or not, I don't think you are the boss here, and I don't think you can decide if we are talking here about cables or not!!

    The only thing I can tell you, and I know it for sure, because you never tried them, as you say "boutique" cables by yourself; You don't know anything from cables at all. PERIOD!!



    Come back with your opinion when you really tried them and tell me everything.

    Have a good day. :2thumbsup:



    Maybe you worked 2 years at the Altec plant as a cleaning assistant, this does not say that you know anything from sound at all! (Sorry this time I also was a little personal)

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    30 days??????? Could this be related to the lunar cycle? I know sunspot activity can interfere with some radio transmissions.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    For the sake of balance this link is presented without judgement.

    http://www.shunyata.com/Content/reviews.html
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    How important are power cables and power filters?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    mah, it isn't a question of whether the item works. Or whether it is good or bad.

    the question is -is it the best solution, or the best solution for the money. There are thousands of items on the market at varying prices. And there are many DIY solutions.

    A power conditioner can be very effective. IF YOU HAVE POWER ISSUES.

    There are MANY ways to address power issues. The OP NEVER EVEN tried them and decided that an expensive item is the best buy.
    A power conditioner is not going to make your room sound bigger. That's just plain misleading. It will make power issues sound better , the amount depends, obvious to anyone with a clue, on how bad they were in the first place. I think one size fits all, rush out and buy this only because I love it reviews are disgusting.

    The best buy is a dedicated line from your power box and an inexpensive effective filter.

    The silly part is this was recommended to the OP. He totally ignored it.He never tried it yet tries to bash me for not trying ONE SPECIFIC power conditioner. He hasn't a clue. I have worked with at least 50-75 different power conditioners. And dozens of different power systems. In Pro audio we ALWAYS bring our own power lines. We hook up to the box. Power conditioners are generally used on items with small power supplies...ie rack gear. Pro power amps have robust supplies and don't need them.

    Yet somebody clueless thinks I believe power not to be important.

    He worked with one conditioner and claims it is the best. I remember my first beer too.
    He claims to be modest and brags only he has knowledge and experience.

    I've worked with way more equipment and people. I do agree with one of his statements now. I'm sure he can figure out which one.

    he could have said, I've never tried what you said, but this works well for me.

    The key is that "for me" descriptor. Religious Zealots only get joy in converting people to their beliefs.

    Power filters are no more sophisticated than crossovers. They ARE NOT MAGIC.


    I have a friend who has horrible power. I got him a computer cast-off Tripplite pure sine wave system for 50 bucks. That item is more sophisticated. A lot more sophisticated than the power conditioner under discussion.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    30 days??????? Could this be related to the lunar cycle? I know sunspot activity can interfere with some radio transmissions.


    When you are starting asking stupid questions, sorry I can't help you, maybe this will help you http://www.nightingale.com/prod_deta...ful_brain.aspx






    .

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    That guy claims a Ph.D in 'marketing' He sure has roped you in.

    You must be getting desperate if you are attacking my intellect when you don't know me.

    Just accept that you like your cables but can't explain why they 'work' for you.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How important are power cables and power filters?

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    That guy claims a Ph.D in 'marketing' He sure has roped you in.

    You must be getting desperate if you are attacking my intellect when you don't know me.

    Just accept that you like your cables but can't explain why they 'work' for you.



    You are right, I don't know you, I only know the stupid questions you asked me.

    My advice to you is; If you belong to the skeptical group, and you are a headstrong person who is not interested in other ideas, stay there and be happy, but don't think it will help you to get everything out of your system by staying in the Middle Ages!


    Good Luck :2thumbsup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.